Shocking number of engineering dropouts at SA universities
Engineering is listed as a ‘scarce profession’ in South Africa despite the fact that many people do not have access to good quality infrastructure and services.
View this post on Google+
Post imported by Google+Blog for WordPress.
This article has a step-by-step howto for setting up Mac OS X on a PC, will give it a tr when I have some time. Involves some BIOS fiddling so not for the feint hearted I guess.
Attending a lecture titled: ‘Imagineering in Wonderland, a Nuclear world around us, are Electrons really blue?’ by Dr Kelvin Kemm.”
Learned a few things:
- South Africa was one of the 1st Nuclear countries because of our Uranium resources.
- Palindaba is going to deplete it’s uranium from weapons grade to 19.5% fuel grade.
- Global warming is just another one of those “keep control by instilling fear” tactics, i.e. bird flu has had its turn.
- Refreshed my interest in the Quantum nature of electrons and Heisenburgs uncertainty principle. Quantum electron pairs will choose opposite spins instantaneously, even though separated by space.
Questions in my head:
- What happens if an electro-magnetic waves’ frequency is increased to a point that it approaches infinity?
- Can an electro-magnetic wave fold in on itself? Would this result in a particle?
Yep, the voip wave cometh!
The ultimate camo
Not sure if this idea has been investigated by any1 else. Imagine is you could weave a suit out of optical fibers in such a way that the end point of one fiber is always 180 degrees to the other end and both are perpendicular to the surface of your body! the effect would be that light from any direction would be sent “through” you/the fibers and emerge at the opposite side, making you invisible!
Idea is copyright ofcourse, contact me for rights
Although I prefer eating to cooking, I have dabbled. I came accross a cooking site that makes the though a lot more comfortable: Cooking For Engineers. Theres also an interesting article on Saturated Fats, Cholesterol, and Heart Disease. My conclusions, stop the Potato Chips (Hydrogenated Oils), replace marg with good ol’ butter and everything in moderation (I love relativity).
found some designs online
Its amazing how a simple idea like the cantenna has grabbed the attention of the media. So far I’ve been interviewed on SABC Africa and by Engineering News (Tin-can bridge to digital society). One would have thought that the technical, innovative stuff we’re doing with ad-hoc networking in the larger project would have more interest. I suppose that its easier to grasp the imagination with simplicity.